Personal injury lawyers of Frederick Maryland have represented many loved ones of the victims of wrongful death. “Wrongful death” is a death that results due to negligence or intentional harm of another party. It is “wrongful” because, had the party not acted negligently or violently (i.e., wrongfully), the death could have been avoided. Our Frederick MD lawyers see these cases of wrongful death all the time. Some of the most common cases our wrongful death lawyers in Frederick Maryland work with include:
- Medical Malpractice – a large number of these is due to prescription mistakes.Surgical mistakes and incorrect diagnoses account for 98,000 deaths per year in the United States alone.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Many of these occur when a driver is under the influence of alcohol. These caused more than 35,000 deaths in the US in 2013.
- Unsafe Premises – slips and falls often occur because a physical location is dimly lit, slippery or full of obstructions. Owners can be sued for negligence.
- Workplace Fatalities – highway accidents, falls, assaults and exposure to hazardous materials can all cause fatalities in the workplace.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – these can happen for any number of reasons, including violence, car accidents and slip and falls.
While the perpetrators and parties guilty of negligence may face charges in criminal court, they may also be forced to compensate families of victims for emotional duress and loss of income, as well as sums of money meant by the judge to be purely punitive. As our personal injury lawyers in Frederick Maryland have seen, the result of the criminal case does not interfere with that of the civil suit. In criminal court, the guilt of the defendant must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. In civil court, this is not the case — guilt is determined by a preponderance of evidence. Often times defendants may be ruled not guilty in criminal court yet still be forced to pay damages in civil court.
Our lawyers have a focus in wrongful death cases. We have been fighting for the rights of the families of victims of negligence and violence for years. If a member of your family has passed away and you believe the death was a result of negligence or violence, contact our personal injury lawyers in Frederick MD for a free case evaluation.